Tuesday, January 29, 2008

D.O.P.

I've joined the Dublin Orchestral Players playing the upright bass! I have taken ONE lesson and am entirely new at playing. It's not different in essence to the electric bass, the strings and notes are all the same, it's the bowing that's the thorn in my side. It's cat hard to play, and the sound of me practicing is akin to the wails of tortured small animals. It's going to sound bad bad bad before it starts sounding good! (I'm slowly but surely getting better though!)
We're doing a concert March 1st at St. Jude's Church in Templeogue.
When I bought the bass it was setup all arseways. the action was very high and it actually hurt to play with the strings so far away from the fretboard. Rather than cart her all over town and pay a small fortune in repairs, I consulted the interweb and set about doing it myself. It was a bit terrifying, I didn't want to destroy the thing, but it was ultimately rewarding in the end (and turned out to be pretty easy). Not only did I fix it, I fixed it well. Go me!







My nice little mess.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home